About the Law Office of Joshua E. Hummer, PLC
A legal team that takes the time to get to know you and your specific needs.
The Law Office of Joshua E. Hummer, Esq. PLC represents Virginia and West Virginia residents, as well as businesses and non-profits of all shapes and sizes. We believe that you receive the best legal services when your attorney builds a personal relationship with you and works to understand and accomplish your goals.
Mr. Hummer drew up a will, advanced directive and a power of attorney for me recently. He is a very personable attorney; he took the time to get to know me and we had a great conversation! His staff was very friendly and his office was immaculate. I would highly recommend Mr. Hummer if you are looking for an attorney!”
Finding a forward-thinking attorney in this area is a challenge. I have consulted with Mr. Hummer recently on a few business issues and since then have employed his services to work on some unrelated financial matters. His promptness, attention to detail, and progressive nature is highly appreciated by my staff and myself.”
“We first hired Mr. Hummer to help resolve an ongoing property dispute between our business and a neighboring institution.
Being business owners and having dealt with a number of attorneys over the years, we can’t say enough good things about our experience with Mr. Hummer. He took the time to listen and understand our perspective, was honest in his assessment, paid close attention to important details, and never surprised us with any bills for services rendered.
After our positive experience with him in that matter, he has advised us on a host of issues. Whenever a sensitive matter has arisen where our money, career, or reputation has been tested, it’s a relief to have someone we know we can trust.
In a community where there are a number of lawyers to choose from and in a profession where reputation is everything, you can’t go wrong by retaining Mr. Hummer and the level of dedicated service he provides.
We highly recommend seeking his counsel and will continue to do so for years to come.”
"I've discovered that business and estate planning provides a unique and powerful opportunity to impact relationships, pass on values and beliefs, and highlight meaning and purpose in a person’s life. "
– Joshua Hummer
A DECADE OF DEDICATION
Joshua E. Hummer, Esq.
Hi, I’m Josh.
I have been practicing law in the Winchester, Virginia area for over a decade. I spent 11 years working at a local law office, where I practiced in a wide variety of areas, including corporate formation, contracts, employment matters, real estate, land use, collecting receivables, estate planning and administration, and litigation.
Several years ago, I took the next step and established my own firm. I now specialize in estate planning, estate administration, and business law.
This includes Wills and Trusts, the appointment of guardians and conservators, and handling the probate process. However, it is my passion to go above and beyond drafting legal documents. I love getting to know my clients personally, so that I can help them envision, create, and implement business and end-of-life plans that will care for their most important relationships and leave their legacy behind.
I am co-author of the recently published book, “Fearless: Facing the Future Confidently with Relational Estate Planning”, I speak regularly at organizational meetings and conferences, and I have given seminars on a variety of topics. These have included elder care matters, end-of-life issues, and, more recently, how to navigate COVID-19 from a legal perspective.
I am a lifelong Virginia resident and I take seriously every opportunity to provide Winchester and Northern Virginia residents the best legal care possible.
Outside of running my business, I love to spend time with my wife, Jill, and our four beautiful children. I also enjoy reading, traveling, and trying out different local restaurants.
Cases, Memberships, & Education
Areas of Practice
- Corporate Formation
- Real Estate
- Land Use
- Elder Law
- Estate Planning
- Estate Administration
- Virginia, 2005
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 2008
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia, 2006
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2006
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2008
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D. – 2005
- B.S – 2002
- Graduated with honors
- Seniors: Armed with Knowledge, Winchester Triad Annual Conference, Winchester Medical Center, April 9, 2014
- Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advance Medical Directives, Warren County Triad Conference, April 12, 2014
- Taking Control of your End-of-Life Care: Wills/Estate Plans, Westminster Canterbury, Winchester, Virginia, August 6, 2014
- Taking Control of your End-of-Life Care: Advanced Medical Directives, Westminster Canterbury, Winchester, Virginia, August 6, 2014
- Triad Senior Festival, April 7, 2016
- Action Coach Small Business Seminar, Summer 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Secretary of the Winchester/Frederick County Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar, Seventh District Disciplinary Committee, Vice Chairman
- Virginia State Bar Seventh District Disciplinary Committee, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Childsafe Center (Child Abuse Prosecution and Therapy), President, and Board of Directors Member
- NW Works, Inc., Board of Directors, Member
- Shenandoah Arts Council/Shenarts, Former Board of Directors Member
- Shenandoah Arts Council/Shenarts, Former Treasurer
- Winchester Isaak Walton League, Former Board of Directors Member
- Winchester/Frederick County Triad (Senior Citizen Abuse Prevention), Board Member
- WinFred Metropolitan Planning Organization Citizen Advisory Committee, Former Member
Meet Josh’s Team
Each member of our team brings a unique skill set to the table, but the one thing we all have in common is that we are passionate about providing the best possible legal services for our clients.
Emily is a paralegal who specializes in estate planning and client relations. She is the glue that keeps our everyday functions running smoothly, and she has a sharp eye for details. Emily is a clear thinker under pressure, and keeps us laughing with her quick sense of humor.
Steve is a paralegal who specializes in estate administration and legal research. He is an information hub with a mind to learn, and regularly tackles big, involved projects. Steve helps us slow down to think things through, and his warm and genuine demeanor endears both his teammates and our clients.
Anna is a writer who specializes in marketing and presenting our estate planning philosophy. She brings creativity and expression to our team, and loves to brainstorm new ideas for the future. Anna is well-loved for her thoughtful, ardent, and lively spirit.